2001 Ford F-150 Specs Details
2001 was a noteworthy year for the F-150. That was the year that they introduced the full 4-door cab style called SuperCrew. This body style would prove to be extremely popular in coming years.
2001 would also see the first new higher end trim level F-150, the King Ranch. In the coming years Ford would also introduce additional high end trim levels to satisfy buyers demands for utility and comfort.
2001 Ford F-150 King Ranch SuperCrew Video
You ought to take a few minutes right now to check out this 2001 SuperCrew King Ranch F-150 tour from SaabKyle04:
What's New For 2001
Let's start off by giving you some highlights of what's new for 2001:
- Increased horsepower and torque for 4.6L Triton V8 engine (now 231 horsepower and 293 lb-ft torque)
- Available power adjustable accelerator and brake pedals
- Standard 4-wheel anti-lock brakes (ABS) for all models
- New child seat safety anchors
- New full 4 door cab style called SuperCrew
- New King Ranch trim level added above Lariat
- Remote keyless entry now standard on XLT
- Lower friction oil now used in the engines, 5W20, to improve fuel economy
- 4.2L V6 engine now uses a composite upper intake manifold and Series V coil
Harley Davidson SuperCrew replaces SuperCab and the King Ranch F-150 has been added to the line up. Work Series is no longer a separate series and now becomes the Work Truck Option Group - deleting certain content from the XL model (chrome bumpers and wheel hub ornament now argent, chrome grille surround now storm grey, cloth seats now vinyl). Super crew, SuperCab, and Regular cab order guides have been combined.
An Off-Road Equipment Group is now available on the SuperCrew 4x4. A new 17" cast aluminum 10 spoke wheel is added to the XLT Sport Group. Storm Grey wheel lip moldings replace black on the XL 4x4.
Heated driver and outboard passenger seats are now an option for the XLT and Lariat. Seat Integrated Restraints have been added to the SuperCab 60/40 split bench and captain's chairs. Manual passenger lumbar has been added to all 60/40 split bench seats and captain's chairs. A 6 Disc CD Changer is now available on SuperCabs with 60/40 split bench seating. Dark Graphite is now an available trim color on XL vinyl and cloth seats. Dark Denim Blue is no longer available as a trim color. Medium Graphite is no longer available as a trim color for XL bench seats. Carpet Delete is now available on the Lariat.
Child Seat tethers are now standard. The XLT now comes with carpeted, color keyed, monogrammed floor mats as standard. A color keyed leather wrapped tilt steering wheel and remote keyless entry (with 2 fobs) is now standard with XLT. The Lariat now comes standard with an electrochromic mirror. XLT cassette radio is now replaced with single CD AM/FM stereo radio with premium sound and four speakers as standard equipment. Cassette and Clock are now added to the XL AM/FM stereo package. Also new dual lighted visor vanity mirrors are now standard with the Lariat.
The 4x4 Work Truck Option Group is now available with all terrain tires and 4-wheel anti-lock brakes are now standard on XL, XLT, And Lariat models.
One of the words that Ford used quite a bit in their 2001 SuperCrew marketing materials was "garageability". The new SuperCrew truck has more maneuverable and garageability due to it's shorter 5-foot box.
New PI Performance Improved 4.6L Triton V8 Engine
So as we mentioned earlier, the 4.6L Triton V8 engine received a power bump. It is called the PI or performance improved engine. It had upgraded heads for improved airflow, and it also received the coil-on-plug (COP) ignition system that the 5.4L V8 had. It's compression ratio was increased to 9.3:1 to increase fuel economy.
The 4.6L V8 in the trucks was a "truck-only" version of the engine, not the same as what was put in Ford cars such as the Mustang, Crown Victoria, etc.
2001 King Ranch F-150 Press Release
The new King Ranch F-150 became available in November 2000. Here is an excerpt from the official Ford / King Ranch press release announcing the new partnership truck:
Ford and King Ranch teamed up when Ford became interested in building a more upscale Western truck. Ford and King Ranch have similar customer bases and "image targets," and both companies have strong working histories.
The relationship offers Ford the opportunity to create a limited edition upscale vehicle that will reach a unique group of customers, and it offers King Ranch the opportunity to nationally promote and strengthen the King Ranch name via an association with one of America's strongest brands and the number-one name in trucks, as well as obtain publicity through automotive press.
Unique features of the King Ranch F-150 SuperCrew package include:
- Front and rear King Ranch leather captains chairs & console with embossed King Ranch F-150 SuperCrew logo and two-way headrest
- King Ranch leather covered front console with King Ranch brand
- Rear center console & storage tray
- Unique 17×7.5 10-spoke painted aluminum wheels
- Unique color-keyed tape stripes
- King Ranch F-150 SuperCrew fender brand
- Color-Keyed box rail moldings
- Unique two-tone paint with raised cutline in colors of: Estate Green w/ Arizona Beige two tone; Chestnut w/ Arizona Beige two tone and Charcoal Blue w/ Arizona Beige two tone – all exclusive to the King Ranch F-150 SuperCrew
2001 F-Series Model Lineup
The lineup for the 2001 F-150 included XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, or Harley-Davidson F-150 models. The SVT Lightning was still available also. The Work Series from last year is not a trim level, it is an option package on the XL trim now.
2001 F-150 Optional Features
There are many standard features included in the 2001 F-150, and they don't change much from the 2000 F-150 so we won't include all of them here. Here are some of the 2001 model year options:
- Heated outboard front seats (optional on XLT & Lariat)
- 3.55 or 3.73 limited slip rear axle
- Electronic shift-on-the-fly 4WD
- Power moonroof (SuperCab & SuperCrew)
- Two-tone paint, lower
- Sliding rear window
- Front tow hooks (4WD)
- Tubular or platform cab steps
- Snapless tonneau cover
- 6-disc in-dash CD changer
- Captains chairs (cloth / leather)
- Power driver's seat with autolamps
- Air conditioning
- Skid plates
- Heavy duty Electrical/Cooling group
Interior color choices in 2001 included Dark Graphite, Medium Graphite, and Medium Parchment.
2001 F-150 Paint Color Choices
- Amazon Beige Clearcoat Metallic (new for 2001)
- Bright Red Clearcoat
- Chestnut Clearcoat Metallic (new for 2001, only available on SuperCrew King Ranch)
- Toreador Red Clearcoat Metallic
- Deep Wedgewood Blue Clearcoat Metallic
- Estate Green Clearcoat Metallic (new for 2001, King Ranch only)
- Black Clearcoat
- Dark Highland Green Clearcoat Metallic (new for 2001)
- Silver Clearcoat Metallic
- Charcoal Blue Clearcoat Metallic (new for 2001, King Ranch only)
- Island Blue Clearcoat Metallic
- Oxford White Clearcoat
Colors deleted for '01 are Amazon Green and Harvest Gold