1998 Ford F-150 Specs
In June 1998, Microsoft released Windows 98. It would become one of the most popular computer operating systems in the world.
Google was founded in 1998, President Bill Clinton was impeached for perjury and obstruction of justice, and a gallon of gas cost $1.15.
Ford completely redesigned the F-150 for 1997 so 1998 only saw minor changes. However, 1998 was a big year for Ford trucks, because it marked the 50th anniversary of F-Series trucks. The F-150 was the best selling vehicle in the US so Ford wasn't about to fix something that wasn't broken.
1998 Ford F-150 Video
Here is a quick video of a nice F-150 SuperCab Lariat. Take a minute or two right now to check it out:
What's New For 1998
So for 1998 there are only a few things different from the year before. The 1997 SuperCab rear side window glass had a metallic like tint to it, whereas the 1998 SuperCab side rear glass had a black appearance to it.
A bi-fuel engine prep package became available. It enabled switchover from gasoline to propane or natural gas. 1999 F-150's saw a bigger appearance change, notably in the front end.
Special Edition 1998 NASCAR F-150
1998 saw the release of a very limited edition NASCAR branded F-150. The NASCAR edition was black with special decals, and only 3,000 were made. This truck happened because Ford became (sponsored) the official truck of NASCAR.
They were all short box, regular cab, two wheel drive trucks. The only option was your choice of either an automatic or manual transmission as far as we can tell. It was available in the southeastern US.
For more details on this very unique truck including an exclusive interview with Ford, go to NASCAR F-150 page.
1998 F-Series 50th Anniversary Poster
Here's a copy of the poster that was in Ford dealerships in 1998.
1998 F-Series Model Lineup
The available trim levels were a carry-over from the year before. The choices for F-150 or F-250 were Standard, XL, XLT, or Lariat. The F-250 light duty body for '98 is based on the F-150 body, that will change in '99.
Here is the XLT interior in the color Prairie Tan:
1998 F-Series Engine Specs
The engines and transmission choices for 98 are the same as 97, for the F-150.
The 4.2L V6 engine makes 205 horsepower @ 4,750 rpm and 255 lb-ft of torque at 3,000 rpm. The smaller V8 the 4.6L produces 220 hp @ 4,500 rpm and 290 lb-ft torque @ 3,250 rpm.
The big V8 engine for the F-150 the 5.4L Triton makes 235 hp @ 4,250 rpm and 330 lb-ft of torque @ 3,000 rpm.
A couple decades later we can look back and see that the 4.2L had some issues with head gaskets. The V8's had some issues with spark plugs ejecting themselves from the head, but otherwise the Triton engines proved to be quite reliable engines. Especially compared to the newer 3 valve engines in the next generation trucks (2004+).
1998 Ford F-150 Standard Features & Available Options
Major standard features include:
- 4.2L V-6 engine
- Five-speed manual transmission
- Twin-forged independent short/long arm front suspension (2WD)
- Twin-forged independent short/long arm front suspension w/ torsion bars, anti-sway bar (4WD)
- Automatic locking hubs /w manual shift-on-the-fly (4WD only)
- Power steering
- Power brakes with rear Anti-Lock
- AM/FM stereo with digital clock
- Hinged third door (SuperCab only)
- Halogen headlamps
- Argent painted wheels
- Protective bed rails
- Bed tie-down hooks
- Trailer tow wiring
- Full gauge cluster (oil pressure, engine temperature, and voltmeter)
- Interval wipers
- Cargo box light
Major options include:
- Electronic AM/FM stereo cassette with digital clock
- Six-disc CD changer with cassette, premium sound
- Cruise control
- Air conditioning
- Power windows (XLT and Lariat only)
- Power door locks (XLT and Lariat only)
- Power mirrors (XLT and Lariat only)
- Power driver seat (XLT and Lariat only)
- Leather seats (Lariat only)
- Cloth captain's chairs
- Tilt steering wheel
- Aluminum wheels
- Sliding rear window
- Fog lamps
- Four wheel anti-lock brakes
- Electric shift-on-the-fly 4WD
- Remote keyless entry w/ anti theft (XLT and Lariat only)
- 3:55 rear axle
- 4x4 Off Road Equipment Group (17-inch aluminum wheels, fog lamps, skid plates, heavy-duty shocks, 3.55 rear axle)
- Class III Trailer Towing Group (7-pin wiring harness, frame hitch, engine oil cooler, super engine cooling, aux transmission cooler, heavy-duty shocks, 3.55 rear axle)
1998 F-150 Interior / Exterior Color Choices
Interior trim colors for 1998 include Cordovan (a very dark red/burgundy), Willow Green, Medium Graphite, and Prairie Tan.
Available exterior paint color choices include:
- Light Prairie Tan Clearcoat Metallic
- Bright Red Clearcoat
- Dark Toreador Red Clearcoat Metallic
- Moonlight Blue Clearcoat Metallic
- Pacific Green Clearcoat Metallic
- Teal Clearcoat Metallic
- Silver Clearcoat Metallic (new for 1998)
- Black Clearcoat
- Light Denim Blue Clearcoat Metallic (new for 1998)
- Oxford White Clearcoat