1996 Ford F150
Headlines: 1996 was known for the introduction of Hotmail, the free email service and the very popular Motorola StarTAC flip cell phone.
Garth Brooks won the 23rd American Music Awards, a new $100 bill was released in the USA. And, gas prices were at their highest level in five years. 1996 was also the year that production started on the all-new 1997 F-150 but only in limited numbers at first as an early model.
1996 marked the last year for this generation of F-150. The body style would stick around for the 1997 model year for the F-250 and F-350, but this was it for the F-150 body. Some say 1996 was the last year for a real truck-like F150 as the 97 model is much more car-like. Ford sold nearly 800,000 F-Series trucks in 1996.
1996 Ford F-150 Video
Here's a video tour of a low mileage 1996 F-150 XLT. What a beautiful truck. I encourage you to take a few minutes right now to check this truck out!
What's New For 1996
There are not a ton of changes to mention for 1996 as the all-new 97 was starting production and getting headlines.
The high end Eddie Bauer trim level was an option again, although it was dropped after 1996. A couple decades later, there would be hints of the Eddie Bauer version in other high end F-150 versions such as the Limited, Platinum and King Ranch editions.
The SVT Lightning F-150 model was dropped for 96. Also, the Flareside box was no longer an option. Ford began changing seats to have integrated headrests.
For '96 you could buy a Special, XL, XLT or Eddie Bauer trim level. You could still get regular cab, Super Cab, and Flareside configurations.
1996 Ford F-Series Powertrains
1996 saw the last year for the "bulletproof" inline 6 4.9L engine. The 5.0L V8 was only available in the F-150, not the F-250 or above. And, the 7.3L Power Stroke V8 diesel engine that was introduced in 1995 stuck around.
Engine specs for 1996 are as follows:
4.9 liter/300 cid I-6
|F-150 / F-250 2WD only||
145-150 / 265-260
5.0 liter/302 cid V-8
195-205 / 275-270
5.8 liter/351 cid V-8
|F-150 / F-250||
205-210 / 325-330
7.5 liter/460 cid V-8
|F-250HD / F-350||
245 / 395
6.9 liter/445 cid V-8 Diesel
|F-250HD / F-350||
210 / 425
The 4.9L I-6 had 145 horsepower and 265 lb-ft torque in 5-speed manual with 2.73 or 3.08 axle ration trucks, or models under 8,500 lbs GVWR with 4-speed automatic trans. Other configurations made 150 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque.
The 5.0L V8 made 205 hp / 275 lb-ft torque with manual transmission, or 195 hp / 270 lb-ft of torque with an automatic transmission.
The 5.8L V8 made 205 hp / 325 lb-ft torque with in 49 states, and 210 hp / 330 lb-ft torque in California.
1996 Ford F-150 Standard Features & Available Options
Standard features and equipment included:
- Aero-halogen headlamps with impact-resistant lenses
- Bright wheellip moldings and color-keyed lower bodyside protection for XLT and Eddie Bauer trims
- Driver-side air bag
- Tinted glass
- Voltmeter, oil pressure and temperature gauges
- Power-assisted steering
- 4.9L multi-port EFI I-6 transmission
- 5-speed manual transmission
- Power-assisted brakes with rear anti-lock system
- Auto-locking front hubs (4WD)
- Removable tailgate with bright handle
- Interval windshield wipers
- Black side wall P235/75R15XL all-season tires
- Nitrogen gas-pressurized shock absorbers
Available options for the 1996 F-150 include:
- Manual locking front hubs (4WD)
- Trailer towing package
- Engine block heater
- 4x4/off-road decal
- Sliding rear window (included in SuperCab Eddie Bauer models)
- Single fuel tank (regular cab only)
- Super engine cooling
- Touch Drive electric shift transfer case (4WD)
- Chrome rear step bumper
- AM/FM stereo radio with CD or cassette player
- Remote keyless entry system (XLT or Eddie Bauer only)
- Chrome appearance package - chrome grille and bright mirrors
- Speed control and tilt steering wheel
- Interior Enhancement / Light group - includes underhood and dual beam dome/map lights, headlights-on audible alert, map pocket in door trim panel, passenger-side visor vanity mirror and mini-console (regular cab) plus headliner and insulation package (regular cab XL & Special)
Interior & Paint Colors for 1996
Interior trim colors depended on the exterior paint color. Interior color choices included:
- Royal Blue
- Ruby Red
- Opal Grey
- Medium Mocha
Available 1996 paint color choices were:
- Light Saddle Clearcoat Metallic
- Bright Red (Regular cab only)
- Bright Red Clearcoat (SuperCab only)
- Toreador Red Clearcoat Metallic
- Dark Toreador Red Clearcoat Metallic
- Moonlight Blue Clearcoat Metallic
- Reef Blue Metallic (Regular cab only)
- Portofino Blue Clearcoat Metallic
- Pacific Green Clearcoat Metallic
- Silver Frost Clearcoat Metallic
- Raven Black (Regular cab only)
- Black Clearcoat
- Oxford White
- Oxford White Clearcoat (SuperCab only)
- Colonial White (Regular cab only)
- Colonial White Clearcoat (SuperCab only)
There were two two-tone paint options, one is Deluxe Two-Tone and the other is Lower Accent Two-Tone.