2017 Ford F150
There are a bunch of new things regarding the 2017 F-150. First off, Ford brought back the Raptor edition, scroll down for more info on that. The other big news is right here:
New 10-Speed Automatic Transmission
Tough competition from the Ram with the EcoDiesel with an 8 speed transmission is part of the reason Ford is putting a new 10 speed transmission in 2017 F-150's.
Another driving factor is CAFE fuel economy standards. And another is to reduce emissions. More gears means you can keep the engine in it's most fuel efficient range more often.
Ford and General Motors teamed up to research and develop the both 9-speed and 10-speed transmissions which will be used in various models owned by the automakers.
Did you know? Ford & General Motors have actually been working together since 2002 on developing transmissions?
In Ford's case, they're using the new 10 speed automatic transmission to help give the F-150 an advantage when it comes to fuel efficiency.
Reportedly, GM is focusing more effort on the 9 speed trans for front wheel drive vehicles, and Ford lead the development of the 10 speed automatic intended for rear wheel drive and four wheel drive trucks & SUVs.
New more powerful 3.5L V6 EcoBoost Engine
Ford has introduced what they are calling the second generation EcoBoost engine in the 2017 F-150. Ford has had astounding success when talking about V6 equipped light duty truck sales. V6-equipped F-150 production accounts for about 60% of truck sales.
The 3.5L V6 EcoBoost engine has been updated and here is a summary of the changes:
- Increase of 30 lb-ft peak torque (best in class 450 lb-ft)
- All-new turbochargers with lighter turbine wheels and electrically actuated wastegates
- Standard auto start/stop feature to help decrease emissions and boost city MPG
- New weight saving roller-finger follower valvetrain and hollow camshafts
- Dual direct and port fuel injection system uses 2 injectors per cylinder
The new EcoBoost engine's torque output is higher than any gas or diesel competitor's engine.
2017 F150 Production Dates
At time of writing these are the scheduled 2017 F150 production dates:
- 2017 F-150 Initial Order Acceptance Start Date July 18, 2016
- 2017 F-150 Production Scheduling Begins August 18, 2016
- 2017 F-150 Production Startup September 12, 2016 for Dearborn Truck Plant & October 24, 2016 for Kansas City Truck Plant
2017 Raptor F-150
Of course, the other big F-150 news for 2017 is the re-introduction of the F-150 Raptor edition:
The Raptor F-150 has been a great success for Ford as being the most capable factory-produced off-road performance pickup truck. The Raptor temporarily stopped production after the 2014 model year due to the 2015 F-150 major overhaul, but it's back for 2017. What was previously known as the SVT (special vehicle team) Raptor is now the Raptor. In fact, it appears that basically the SVT was renamed "Ford Performance". Just an FYI there.
Highlights of the all-new '17 Raptor:
- Former 6.2L V8 engine replaced by Raptor-only high output 3.5L EcoBoost engine with more power and torque
- 500 pounds weight savings compared to previous generation Raptor in part due to the use of aluminum-alloy body panels
- All-new 10-speed automatic transmission replaces previous 6-speed unit
- Paddle-shifters to manually shift transmission
- Advanced LED lighting, camera technology
- Redesigned, larger FOX racing shocks
- New terrain management technology with driver selectable user modes:
- Normal, Street, Weather, Mud and sand, Baja, and Rock modes
- New wheels with next-generation BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO2 tires
- All new four-wheel-drive torque-on-demand transfer case
- Unique Raptor grille and other exterior & interior changes
- Goes on sale fall of 2016
2017 F-150 Raptor Photos
2017 Raptor F150 Rear View:
2017 F-150 Front View:
2017 Raptor Side View:
All photos shown on this page are copyright © Ford Motor Company.
2017 Ford F150 Specs
Here is a PDF document with complete details on the 2017 F150 Specifications, it is approximately 9MB in size.