2012 Ford F150, Super Duty
Summary: Minor changes for F-150 & Super Duty, Ranger discontinued.
2012 Ford F150
What's new for the 2012 F-150? Given the complete replacement of all available engines in the 2011 F150, there are no major changes for 2012. Some of the upgrades and additions for the 2012 model year include:
- Hill Start Assist helps a vehicle from rolling backward when starting from a stop on a hill or slope
- replacing last year’s electronic shift-on-the-fly with a two-speed automatic 4x4 system for Lariat, King Ranch® and Platinum trim levels
- addition of neutral tow capability on all 4x4 trucks means customers can now flat-tow their F-150
- an electronic locking rear axle replaces most of the limited-slip offerings on the 3.5-liter EcoBoost and 5.0-liter engines
In addition, folks looking to purchase an EcoBoost 4x4 model will get a larger, 36 gallon fuel tank. That's great for long trips or towing. In 2012, Tuxedo Black Metallic is replaced by Black. Green Gem Metallic is a new paint color. Also, in this age of technology, Ford has added a new feature within SYNC® called AppLink. This provides control of certain smart phone applications using SYNC® voice commands. Connect to apps like Pandora® and more with your iPhone®, Blackberry®, or Android platform mobile phones.
2012 F150 FX Appearance Package
In addition to the above changes, the 2012 F-150 is available in a new FX appearance package. This is available on FX2 or FX4 trim levels and has flat black, stealthy looking accents.
The look is set off with black fender and tailgate badges that feature red lettering, which is carried into the interior with a red-stitched steering wheel. The FX’s interior also features black leather seats with red perforations and red piping. Unique interior surfaces include black-painted dash accents, brushed-metal surfaces and satin shifter knob, door handles and air conditioning vent bezels.
New 20-inch six-spoke wheels with a flat black paint are just one of the specialized exterior styling cues. A unique bodyside decal is matte black with color read-through for a distinctive appearance. A chrome exhaust tip, black-finished grille and blacked-out headlamps and taillamps round out the exterior upgrades.
2012 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor Edition
The 2011 F-150 SVT Raptor truck was a very capable truck. As such Ford didn't make any major changes for the Raptor F150 for 2012. Notable updates and improvements for 2012 include a new Torsen front axle, and off-road front camera system. The camera is class-exclusive and uses the in-dash 8" navigation screen for viewing (front camera is only available if ordered with navigation package).
Again for 2012, you can opt for SuperCrew version of the Raptor. The 2012 F-150 SVT Raptor also adds style upgrades with a new wheel design, unique bodyside graphic and upgraded optional interior package with aluminum accents. The new bodyside graphic is based off two diagonal stripes with jagged lines and shapes that give it a racing and off-road feel.
A new matte anodized blue interior color accent package will replace the existing one, and will be available with every paint color except for the newly offered Race Red. The package includes accent leather-trimmed front seats with unique leather inserts and accents on the center stack, rear seat inserts and door panels. Aluminum trim also will be used on the instrument panel and flow-through center console.
Also new for the 2012 Raptor is the addition of cooled seats to the optional Luxury Package and new Euroflange wheels with the balancing weights on the inside for better protection.
2012 Ford Harley-Davidson™ Edition F-150
Ford has announced details on the 2012 Harley-Davidson™ F150 and there the only engine available is the 6.2L V8 premium engine with 411 horsepower. There are not a lot of changes for 2012. The color choices are Tuxedo Black or White Tri-Coat Platinum. There is new unique snakeskin texture on a number of surfaces including the interior console lid, scuff plates, upper steering wheel, and on the exterior bodyside graphics.
- 2012 Ford F-150 Harley-Davidson™ Edition
- 2012 Ford Harley-Davidson™ F150 Photos
- 2012 Ford Harley-Davidson™ F-150 Specifications (PDF)
- Ford Harley Trucks
2012 Ford Ranger
Ford publicly announced the closing of the Ford Ranger assembly plant in St. Paul, Minnesota. The only information as of now is that the "old" 2011 Ranger was to be discontinued in North America.
There is a new global 2012 Ranger as seen to the right. But it is only available in 180+ countries, but not in Canada or the US.
At this point Ford is saying that that all-new Ranger will not be coming to North America. Rather, if you want a comparable truck, you're supposed to get a V6 F-150.
2012 Ford Super Duty
Following the release of the Ford-engineered 6.7L PowerStroke V8 diesel engine in the 2011 Super Duty, here is a list of what's new for the 2012 Super Duty trucks:
- Tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) can be deleted on SRW F-350
- New available spray-in bedliner
- Two-inch sleeve reducer added to vehicles with 2.5-inch hitch
- Gaseous bi-fuel prep package available on 6.2-litre engines
- All SRW (single rear wheels) models have standard vacuum brakes; all DRW (dual rear wheels) models have standard hydro brakes
- Chrome Package adds 18-inch chrome wheels and can be optioned to 20-inch chrome wheels
- 20-inch premium cast aluminum wheels not available on XLT
- Power sliding window with privacy glass and defroster standard on Lariat and King Ranch, and optional on XLT
- Four-way adjustable headrests standard on Lariat and King Ranch models
- Trailer brake controller standard on SRW XLT and Lariat models, and on all DRW models
- Crew Chief telematics system now powered by Telogis and includes one year of subscription service
- XL adds standard MyKey vehicle controller
- 9,900 GVWR Downgrade Package standard on F-250 models
- Exterior colours: Autumn Red, Tuxedo Black added; Black discontinued